Working Group 1: Culture Under Surveillance
Working Group Chairs: Muriel Blaive and James Kapalo
This Working Group will analyze dissent as it was influenced in a direct and top-down manner by institutions wielding the power of surveillance in the realm of culture, i.e. of documenting, classifying, analyzing, reporting and intervening in what was deemed to be subversive. We will examine the effects of the exposure of culture to political surveillance, i.e. the impact of censors, the security apparatus and the professional organizations in the former socialist countries on the life trajectories of cultural creators, cultural events and objects.
At the same time and in the same scope, we are interested in the strategies of counter-surveillance performed by Western state institutions and transnational centers of cultural transmission such as Radio Free Europe. In particular, we will examine how such transnational rivalry opened spaces for cultural alternatives.
- Conference report: East European Dissent between Agenda & Legacy
- East European Dissent between Agenda & Legacy
- MC Meeting: European University of Tirana (UET) (May 30-31, 2019)
- Summer Training School in Digital History: Cultures of Dissent in Eastern Europe (1945-1989)
- Joint Working Group Meeting: Budapest
- CFP: Artpool 40 -- Active Archives and Art Networks (Feb 20-21, 2020, Budapest)
- CFP: BASEEES Annual Conference 2020 (3-5 April, 2020, Cambridge, UK)
- NEP4DISSENT Joint Review Report Published!!
- CFP: Summer School Communicating Difficult Pasts in Kuldīga, 2–7 August 2019
- CFP: NIHIL OBSTAT: Reading and Circulation of Texts After Censorship (NYU in Prague, 17-19 October)
- CfP: The Bondian Cold War: The Transnational Legacies of a Cold War Icon (Tallinn, 20-21 June 2019)
- Conference and Spring School: Comparative Media Systems -- 100 Years of Media Systems in Southeast Europe
- New book: Perceptions of Society in Communist Europe
- CfP: WHY (NOT)? THINKING EASTERN EUROPE DIGITALLY (Sep 30-Oct 1, Marburg, Germany)
- Book Launch: Zsófia Lóránd's The Feminist Challenge to the Socialist State in Yugoslavia (Palgrave, 2018)
- New Encyclopedia: Český literární samizdat 1949–1989
- New Book: Media and the Cold War in the 1980s (eds. Bastiansen, Klimke, and Werenskjold)
- Remembering Activism: vacancies for 3 PhD and 2 post-doc researchers
- Special Issue of SEER: New Perspectives on Censorship Under Communism
- Show All