Working Group 4: Cultural Memory of Dissent
Working Group Chairs: Ferenc Laczó and Tamás Scheibner
The activities of Working Group will focus on exploring the cultures of remembrance of pre-1989 East European dissent across Europe. The aim is to examine the construction of the oppositional legacy through both official and alternative narratives; the attempts at integrating this legacy in the broader European culture of remembrance; and the contemporary uses of the dissident past within the EU and among its neighbors. We will pay special attention to the guiding principles behind the preservation and digitization of the dissident heritage, the varied public functions of remembering dissent, and the role of transnational actors and networks in those activities.
- CFP: Master Class on Media and History & One Day Symposium
- CFP: To the Left of Power? Radical Culture in Eastern Europe in the 1960s and 1970s
- Virtual Mobility Grants
- WORKSHOP on Digital Oral History Content Management
- CFP: Special Issue of the Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television
- CFP: Theory and Methods Workshop on Alternative Cultures
- CFP: Symposium "Prisms of Silence"
- NOW ACTIVE!!! Standing Open Call: Conference Grants for Early Career Investigators from ITC Countries
- STSM Call for Grant Period 4 re-opened!
- Show All
- Recording of the conference “Central and Eastern European Samizdat during the Cold War. Comparative and Transnational Perspectives”
- Workshop series 'Linking your Historical Sources to Open Data'
- To the Left of Power? Radical Culture in Eastern Europe in the 1960s and 1970s
- Linking Your Historical Sources to Open Data: Workshop Series
- Conference "Central and Eastern European Samizdat during the Cold War. Comparative and Transnational Perspectives"
Forum in Literary Studies / Spring 2021:
Cultural Dissent in Central and Eastern Europe
- Workshop: Thinking Left Dissent
- [NEW DATE] Workshop "Digital Storytelling as a New Form of Conveying Information"
- NEP4DISSENT Virtual Summit
- International symposium “Prisms of Silence” in Tallinn
- TRAINING SCHOOL: Cultures of Dissent in Eastern Europe (1945-1989). Research Approaches in the Digital Humanities
- NEP4Dissent widely represented at 2019 ASEEES Convention in San Francisco
- "Legacies of 1989 for dissent today" by Barbara J. Falk published in Eurozine
- Conference report: East European Dissent between Agenda & Legacy
- East European Dissent between Agenda & Legacy
- MC Meeting: European University of Tirana (UET) (May 30-31, 2019)
- Summer Training School in Digital History: Cultures of Dissent in Eastern Europe (1945-1989)
- Joint Working Group Meeting: Budapest
- Show All
- CFP: Art beyond the Politics: Africa and the ‘Other’ Europe during the Cold War
The Secret Police and Study of Religions:
Archives, Communities and Contested Memories in Central and Eastern Europe
- An Evening with Resistance Studies!
- Methodologies of Working in Cold War Archives. Facts, Values and Archival Ecologies
- New project launched to explore archival collections of Eastern European dissidents exiled in France during the Cold War
- Kristóf Nagy: Debates over the Tendencies Exhibition Series (1980–81)
- Through the Lens of the Secret Police: Images of the Religious Underground in Eastern Europe
- New book of Central and Eastern Europe published
- Visegrad Scholarship at the Open Society Archives
- CFP: Socialist Folkloristics. A Disciplinary Heritage
- CFP: 16th annual HEIRS Conference
- Faith-Trust-Secrecy: Religion through the Lenses of the Secret Police
- CFP: ‘She is made of stone’. Women in the Socialist and Post-Socialist Public Space
- CFP: Visual Ethics after Communism – Special Issue of Journal "Martor"
- Pilecki Fellowship
- New book about Ukrainian dissidents published
- Vacancy for Doctoral candidate (PhD student) in the field of Transnational Contemporary History
- Visegrad Scholarship at the Blinken OSA Archives
- CFP: Artpool 40 -- Active Archives and Art Networks (Feb 20-21, 2020, Budapest)
- CFP: BASEEES Annual Conference 2020 (3-5 April, 2020, Cambridge, UK)
- NEP4DISSENT Joint Review Report Published!!
- CFP: Summer School Communicating Difficult Pasts in Kuldīga, 2–7 August 2019
- CFP: NIHIL OBSTAT: Reading and Circulation of Texts After Censorship (NYU in Prague, 17-19 October)
- Conference and Spring School: Comparative Media Systems -- 100 Years of Media Systems in Southeast Europe
- CfP: WHY (NOT)? THINKING EASTERN EUROPE DIGITALLY (Sep 30-Oct 1, Marburg, Germany)
- Book Launch: Zsófia Lóránd's The Feminist Challenge to the Socialist State in Yugoslavia (Palgrave, 2018)
- New Encyclopedia: Český literární samizdat 1949–1989
- CFP: Analysing Political Change beyond the ‘Democratic Backlash’: Uses and Policies of the Past
- New Book: Media and the Cold War in the 1980s (eds. Bastiansen, Klimke, and Werenskjold)
- CFP Conference: "Myths, Memories, and Economies: Post-Socialist Transformation in Comparison (Warsaw, October 28-29, 2019)
- CFP: Conference "1989 in the East: Between Order and Subversion" (Paris, October 2019)
- Remembering Activism: vacancies for 3 PhD and 2 post-doc researchers
- CFP: Building the Scenes? Fan/zines in Central Eastern and South Eastern Europe
- Show All